Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are We There Yet?

Yesterday I got up, joked with Casey that we should call in, and went to work anyway. I had 6 weeks of work left before I took off to welcome Jonah. By 7:30 last night I was sitting in a hospital bed for who knows how long. What a difference a day makes.

Midday I really started to notice that Little One just hadn't been nearly as active as usual. I started thinking back and realized that he'd been abnormally mellow on Tuesday, too, so I called Dr. Wagman's office to see when I should worry. By 3:15 I was in her office watching my fully breech, fully active little man pulling one of his favorite stunts... being non-compliant. Strong-Willed Fetus Syndrome is a thing, and my child definitely has it. So Jonah wasn't in trouble... what IS going on? One helter-skelter trip to the high-risk perinatologist later, I was standing in admitting processing that no, as a matter of fact. I would not be going home.

Why are we here? Apparently Jonah is both non-compliant AND persuasive and has talked my body into helping prepare for his arrival a little too early. My cervix is 17 mm and funneling instead of the 40 and straight it should still be at this point. Upon interrogation, it seems that I've likely been having contractions (mild and painless) for several weeks. Because they weren't particularly uncomfortable and I'd never done this before, I had no idea what was going on.

So the plan, as best I know it until Dr. W comes and tell me otherwise, is to stay here. In this bed. With a view of the DART rail station. We don't know how long. Based on her past patients of Dr. W's (and a late night phone call where she was told I'd be here for "a couple of more weeks"), me nurse seems to believe that I'll likely be here until 34 weeks (8 more days) or beyond. Delivery isn't imminent, but I have to be on bedrest until we're in the "safe" zone (techinically closer to 35 weeks, but 34 will do). He's had steroids to boost his lungs, so if it's sooner rather than later, that's one fewer thing to worry about.

So my plans, once again, made God laugh. But I'm very thankful that He used a 4lb. 8oz. (ish) little boy to make ME listen and to keep us safe. I'll update as a know more, but frankly I'm OK with there being no action on this particular front!

1 comments:

Christine said...

Praying for you guys. I know how much this can really turn your world upside down. I was pretty much in the same position back in December and January but for different reasons (check my blog entries for my story if you get bored). We also had a little stint in the NICU. I found the hardest part was just not being able to take care of my household stuff and not being able to finish Naomi's room (still not done). Now I'm home with Naomi and I sometimes miss the hospital bedrest days of ambien and sleeping whenever I wanted and room service meals. :) Hopefully in a little over a month, you'll be cuddling Jonah too.