Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Running just to catch myself

I love Thursday nights. I don't work tomorrow, but everyone else does. So I feel no guilt about spending the evening in a t-shirt and underpants (TMI?) cleaning the kitchen and eating half a PB&J for dinner. Later I'll stay up until midnight and sip a glass of cheap Merlot while watching old episodes of Frasier. On Thursdays, I don't feel like I'm a loser because I don't have plans or like I should be out using my time wisely. Not yet anyhow... give me 12 hours.

The last 10 days have been humdrum at best, frankly. One night of stormage left us without power for 33 hours and I had to toss my Boca Burgers and sugar-free ice cream. Bummer. Fortunately we didn't lose trees or shingles or a fence (despite what I feared when I looked out the window), and most importantly we were safe. I also "got" to go to jury duty for the first time ever (being in school for so long does have its advantages :) ). A half day later, I had re-experienced mass transit, learned the differences between American and Israeli airlines, and been hit on by at least one guy who was clearly either clueless about or disinterested in the social ramifications of wearing headphones. There may have been more, but I was smart enough to not remove my headphones again :).

My weight loss has slowed to a relaxed crawl, so I've taken up running of late to at least get some firming up done. I'm between 10-15 lbs from goal (depending on the day), but who knows where I'll end up. It's continuously surreal to pass a mirror even though my body isn't changing so quickly anymore. I still expect to see the old me every time. I'm up to between 1.5-2.0 miles at a time running now. I've had to move it indoors because I also recently discovered that I don't sweat enough to keep my body temp regulated anymore. Maybe I should re-title this entry "TMI." Now that the temps are regularly in the upper 90's, sweat is important. I have discovered that treadmill running isn't so bad... My running goal is to do a 5K in the fall. Not too bad considering where I've come from!

I'm still at The Heights for now, but I've slowly come to the realization it may be time to move on. I can't explain it and I'm not sure I want to, but I feel that the time has come. Where to go? I have no idea and no leads, but I need to find a place where I fit and where getting up to go on a Sunday is something I look forward to again instead of something I wish I hadn't done halfway through every worship service. So I suspect that it's about time to prayerfully re-embark on a search for a church home. I wish things were different. Actually I wish they were the same....

That's all I got for now. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get on with my busy night of cheap wine and PB&J. Not to mention complete fruit fly annihilation...

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Betty can not do peanut butter, but she does welcome cheap wine and fruit fly killing!!